6,870,000 pageviews


Friday, July 19, 2019

Hiring Ex-Felons For Government Work

     Allegheny County, Pennsylvania has joined the growing number of state, county and local governments that will no longer have job applications that require people to check a box if they've been convicted of a felony or serious misdemeanor. A county official said the measure will make it easier for people with criminal records to get a second chance at turning their lives around.

     Because of state and federal laws, applicants will still be asked about their criminal record if they want jobs at the county jail or juvenile detention center, the county police or with the departments of Human Services, or to work at a county-run nursing home.

"County Bans Criminal History Box," Associated Press, November 26, 2014 

1 comment:

  1. I was arrested 20 years ago for selling pot...a lot of it. Since my arrest, I have worked and begun raising a family. I have not so much as been pulled over since my arrest. Frankly, some time in jail was medicinal. For me, a 2nd chance was an opportunity I took seriously. Sadly, it appears my case is the exception rather than the rule. I have known a lot of people doing "life on the installment plan", who frankly can't seem to stay out of jail. Perhaps if they had an easier time seeking employment, that might change for the better. Just my perspective.

    ReplyDelete