6,835,000 pageviews


Tuesday, December 7, 2021

The Fantasy Genre

What does fantasy ask of us? It asks us to pay something extra. It compels us to an adjustment that is different to an adjustment required by a work of art...The other novelists say "Here is something that might occur in our lives," the fantasist says "Here's something that could not occur. I must ask you to first accept my book as a whole, and secondly to accept certain things in my book." Many readers can grant the first request, but refuse the second. "One knows a book isn't real," they say, "still one does expect it to be natural."

E. M. Forster, Aspects of the Novel, 1927

3 comments:

  1. Hi Jim, are any of your books available as e-books?
    from Genesis Cotterell
    gencotterell.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. The Lindbergh Case, SWAT Madness and Forensics Under Fire are on Kindle. Fall guys can be downloaded through libraries as an e-book. It was nice hearing from you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for answering my query. Now that I'm on holiday I will have time to read some of your books and reply to some of my queries from several months ago

      Delete